Syed Mustafa Mahdi
Syed Mustafa Mahdi is a common law qualified lawyer with a professional experience of 10 years and currently practising at the Bar in Sindh (High Court), Pakistan. Syed specialises in corporate law, aviation, insurance, hospitality, shipping, customs, construction, arbitration, financial markets, and cross-border transactions to which he brings a commercial, pragmatic and organised approach with a depth of experience and knowledge.
Syed is regarded by his peers as one the prominent and accomplished attorney in this field. Syed is known for his formidable legal intellect, his excellent skills in advocacy, and his impeccable presentation style. Syed possesses an innate ability to delve straight to the heart of any matter and offer simple yet effective advice that will best serve a clients interest and lead to the best outcome possible. As a reflection of his expertise, Syed qualified as a Fellow at the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (“FCIArb”) and is one the youngest Arbitrators to have achieved this enviable and distinguished title in Pakistan.
Most recently, Syed was awarded Best Full Service Arbitration Specialist- Pakistan by APAC Insider Legal Awards 2019 (United Kingdom). Syed was also invited at the 8th Judicial Conference (2018) under the auspices of Supreme Court of Pakistan, where he presented his paper on Corruption of Arbitration Awards. Syed has been awarded as the Leading Corporate Attorney of the Year Pakistan by AI Global Media as part of their annual Leading Adviser Awards 2018 and also awarded as the Corporate Arbitrator of the Year 2018 - Pakistan” by Acquisition International Magazine (UK).
Awards / Recognitions
1. 2019: “Best Full Service Arbitration Specialist- Pakistan” by APAC Inside Legal Awards
2. 2018: “Corporate Arbitrator of the Year- Pakistan” by Acquisitions International Magazine (UK)
3. 2018: “Leading Corporate Attorney of the Year- Pakistan” by AI Global Media (UK)
Rights of Audience
1. Certificate of Practice to be enrolled as an Advocate Lifetime High Court(s) of Pakistan
2. Rights of Audience (Lifetime) at the Astana International Financial Centre (AIFC), Kazakhstan
1. Fellow: Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb), United Kingdom
2. Fellow: The Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators (MIArb), Malaysia
3. Fellow: Arbitrators and Mediators Institute of New Zealand (AMINZ), New Zealand
4. Fellow: Utatuzi Center, Kenya
5. Fellow: Kovise Foundation Conflict Resolution International (KFCRI). India
6. AHC: Advocate High Court, Pakistan
7. IAPM: International Accredited Professional Mediator
8. TTP: Travel and Tourism Professional
Panel Admissions (Arbitration and Mediation)
1. Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb), United Kingdom
2. Asian International Arbitration Centre (AIAC), Kuala Lumpur
3. Saudi Centre for Commercial Arbitration (SCCA), Saudi Arabia
4. Maldives International Arbitration Centre (MIAC), Maldives
5. Utatuzi Center, Kenya
6. Disputes Board- MENA, United Arab Emirates
7. Mainland-Hong Kong Joint Mediation Centre (MHJMC), Hong Kong and China
8. New Zealand International Arbitration Centre (NZIAC), New Zealand
9. Caspian Arbitration Centre (CAS), Switzerland
10. Pakistan Mercantile Exchange Limited (PMEX), Pakistan
1. Active (for oral hearings): English (mother tongue/native), Urdu (fluent), Hindi (fluent).
2. Passive (for reading documents): English (mother tongue/native), Urdu (fluent)
3. Drafting (for drafting Awards/Decisions/etc.): English (mother tongue/native)